Thursday, April 18, 2019

Easter candy almost got me at the store...

When I was a child I was a candy ADDICT. I look back at childhood pictures and see myself gripping candy so no one would take it away from me. And when a new holiday came I was thrilled because those celebrations ALWAYS revolved around candy.

That's why I had to stop myself the other day....

I saw a shelf stocked with beautifully wrapped chocolate Easter eggs and really wanted to buy some for Harley. I got wrapped up in the nostalgia of childhood holiday memories… but then I realized… I don't need to buy her chocolate eggs just because it is Easter. She is only two. Why should I give her something that she will crave over and over again this early in life? So, I decided not to.

This is my choice for now, and you have a choice too. If you want to buy chocolates and candy for Easter, thankfully there are some good options out there. Just watch out for those candies harboring artificial dyes and artificial flavors, like Jelly Beans and Cadbury Eggs (see the ingredients for those below!)

Look for organic brands instead such as YumEarth, Ocho, Black Forest, and Wholesome. These alternatives aren't all perfect and not something I recommend eating on a regular basis (it's candy!) - but they are so much better than conventional holiday candy in terms of ingredients. You'll find them in natural food grocery stores - I even saw some in Target!

You could also stuff Easter baskets with these homemade Chocolate Turmeric Cups and Chocolate Goji Sea Salt Drops (so good!) And if you are going to be celebrating Easter with brunches and cookouts this weekend, I have some delicious recipe ideas for you…

I hope you have a wonderful Easter and get to spend the day with your loved ones! And, if you know anyone who could use an Easter candy makeover (or would like some new recipes) please send this email to them.

Xo,

Vani

P.S. Earlier this week I posted this pic of Cadbury Eggs on my Instagram. I sure loved these when I was younger... and I'm sure a lot of children (and adults!) are eating these this week. Please tag and share this with your friends...

 


P.O. Box 31521 Charlotte, NC 28231

If you would like to stop receiving free food investigations, recipes and healthy living tips, you can update your preferences here.

No comments:

Post a Comment