If you read ingredient lists like me, I hope that doesn't stop at just food.
Food chemicals are nasty, but the skincare and cosmetics industry is even worse. The FDA doesn't regulate cosmetics as rigorously as pharmaceuticals or food – allowing companies to get away with using potentially harmful ingredients that are banned in other countries. Many cosmetics, lotions, soaps, and body scrubs contain toxic petrochemicals made from oil, known carcinogens, reproductive toxins, and neurotoxins.
One thing I did years ago was count the number of personal care products I used from morning to night – My number was 15. I'd like you to do this same little exercise! Count the number of products you use in a 24 hour period, and report back to me. Please share the results by leaving a comment on my Facebook page or replying to this email!
As you start to think about your personal care or beauty routine, here are some tips:
- Look for products made with simple organic ingredients.
- Choose fragrance-free products, or those that are only scented with essential oils.
- Go artificial dye-free on everything that goes on your skin.
- Adopt a minimalist approach – do you really need to coat your hair in a chemical bath of 5 different products every day? How many products do you use on a daily basis? Think about the money you'd save if you just used a couple safe products.
- Try using coconut or sesame oil as a moisturizer and makeup remover, and oatmeal & salt for a body scrub. If it's safe to eat, it's safe to put on your body.
- Give your face a rest a few times a week. Spend a couple of days without makeup and allow your skin to naturally be rejuvenated.
- Vote with your dollars. Stop supporting companies that are harming the environment, your family and most importantly your own body with crazy chemicals!
I hope this information gives you inspiration to replace some of your toxic products with safer alternatives. If you know anyone who would like these tips, please share this email with them and ask them to subscribe here. Let's spread the word!
P.S. In case you missed my big new investigation into burger restaurants… you can check that out here. You won't believe what I uncovered about popular chains like Shake Shack, Smashburger, and Five Guys!
P.P.S. I will share one of my favorite beauty & cosmetics brands with you tomorrow - so stay tuned!
If you would like to stop receiving free food investigations, recipes and healthy living tips, you can update your preferences here.