Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The truth about energy bars…

A couple of weeks ago, a major TV morning show featured a nutritionist who examined the nutritional content of energy bars with real food ingredients, and said that based on the calories, fat and sugar content it's practically the same thing as eating a Kit Kat!

I see this type of reporting all of the time in the media, and I'm always screaming at this outdated mentality that has been disproven by new science.

In what type of world is a bar (made from dried fruit, almonds and walnuts) the same as a Kit Kat bar that contains artificial flavors, refined sugar, flour, and PGPR (a cheap chemical replacement for cocoa butter)?!?!

Dried fruit is amazing for digestive and heart health, and it contains plenty of fiber too (which helps keep you full longer). The nuts and seeds contain healthy fats that are good for your heart and nutrients that feed your brain. The bottom line is that real food ingredients actually have nutrients that serve the body and is a zillion times healthier than eating a Kit Kat bar, and the nutritionist on TV should have said that!

It was appalling to see this to say the least.

If you know me, I don't eat a lot of energy bars or snack bars on a day to day basis but I realize they do come handy on my travels and when I'm in a hurry or there's a "I am so hangry" emergency…

Instead of a Kit Kat – I pick up one of my favorite bars: Raw Crunch.

Before choosing a bar, I always ask myself:

  • Do I know what these ingredients are?
  • Are they organic and free of synthetic additives and pesticides?
  • Are these ingredients chemical inventions, or are they natural ingredients that I could cook with at home?
  • Do these ingredients have nutrients that do anything good for my body?

Raw Crunch not only passes the test, they are absolutely delicious. One of the things I hate about typical energy bars is that they taste like they have been sitting in the package for decades – they are too dense, taste overly processed by a machine and leave you wanting more.

Thankfully, Raw Crunch is handmade, raw and made with the best organic ingredients – keeping that homemade, eating real food feeling!!! They are crunchy, a little chewy and have just a touch of raw honey for a little bit of sweetness without going overboard on the sugar.

For example the ingredients in their Blueberry and Lemon Bar, actually use REAL blueberry and REAL lemon – not that chemical flavoring crap! In the Mango and Coconut – REAL mango and REAL coconut and so on…

I am a huge fan of this bar – not only because they are a partner supporting what we do here at Food Babe – but because they have an amazing delicious product that helps us folks on the go eat more organic real food!

For a limited time (ends tomorrow) – you can get Free Shipping AND 10% off with the code: FOODBABE

Check them out & shop online here.

Discount code: FOODBABE

And just so you know, I had to BEG for free shipping. I know this has been a concern of many of you in the past when trying new products that I love and talk about here… I hope my persistence gives you the opportunity to try this company – they are truly leading the way in healthy snacks that don't taste like crap :)

Enjoy!

Xo,

Vani

P.S. This deal is exclusive to Food Babe Readers, but if you want to forward this special to your bestest friends and family, no problem – but it expires tomorrow 8/13 at midnight PST! Remember to use the code: FOODBABE to get free shipping and 10% off.

 

 

 



P.O. Box 31521 Charlotte, NC 28231

If you would like to stop receiving free food investigations, recipes and healthy living tips, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment