Monday, November 21, 2016

Millions read this because of you.

This time of year I like to reflect on what I'm thankful for, and I feel very fortunate for so many things. As always, I'm thankful for my good health. Without that I wouldn't be able to do the work that I do and it brings me peace. I'm also so very thankful for YOU and everyone in the Food Babe Army who is standing with me in this fight for a cleaner food system. This past week you really showed how absolutely remarkable you are, the latest expose on Food Babe was shared and read MILLIONS of times, proving we don't need traditional media to spread the word. You are helping change the world with me and I couldn't be more thankful!

Although you might be extra busy in the coming weeks, trying to juggle all the cooking, parties, and shopping - I want to do all that I can to help you stay healthy (even on Thanksgiving)! It may sound like an anomaly using the words "healthy" and "Thanksgiving" together, but hear me out! You can still have a wonderful time with your friends and family without putting your health on hold. Here are some tips to make your Thanksgiving a healthy one:

  • Drink a green drink (and don't skip breakfast): Make sure to start your day with a green drink to give yourself a healthy energy boost that will remind you that your health comes first. Several of my favorite green juice and smoothie recipes are on the blog here. Follow this up with a good breakfast too, to keep your hunger in check. You don't want to show up to the Thanksgiving table ravenous, because then you'll eat everything in sight!

  • Seek out raw food first. Fill up your plate with raw veggies and a salad before eating anything else. You'll still have room for more delicious goodies later!
  • Cut out the alcohol (or keep it limited). Your liver is your main detoxifying organ, so if you're trying to lose weight drinking alcohol is your worst enemy. If you want to have a festive drink, bring along your own bottle of organic wine. Have just one glass and then replace it with sparkling water and lime the second time around.
  • Relieve stress. If you are feeling super stressed out, your cortisol levels can skyrocket causing your body hold onto weight (particularly in the waist). Fat accumulates near the stomach because the cells in the stomach are more sensitive to cortisol, and very effective at storing energy. Do some yoga, meditation, or take a long walk either before or after your big meal.

  • Cap off the night with some ginger tea. Ginger can counteract any inflammation, and is effective in calming the stomach and aiding in digestion. Here's how I make it.

  • If you aren't hosting, bring along healthier versions of your Thanksgiving favorites. Of course you should never show up to a dinner empty-handed, so use this rule to your advantage and bring along a healthy dish (or a few). Not only will this ensure that you have something healthy to eat, but you'll get to share a real food dish with your family to show them how delicious healthy food can be! Perhaps you will inspire a new tradition.

Healthy Thanksgiving recipes from the blog to try:

If you make these recipes, make sure to post them on social media and tag me! I can't wait to see pictures of all of the beautiful healthy organic meals you serve this holiday season! 

Remember that during the holiday season, your health is something you really ought to be thankful for and prioritize as #1. My team and I wish everyone a HEALTHY and happy Thanksgiving!

Xo,

Vani



P.O. Box 31521 Charlotte, NC 28231

If you would like to stop receiving free food investigations, recipes and healthy living tips, you can update your preferences here.

No comments:

Post a Comment