Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Warning about a very popular sweetener

A breaking new study in Nature Medicine links a popular sweetener called Erythritol to heart attacks, stroke and death. 

I made a video showing all the popular products with it: WATCH HERE

There's a BIG debate amongst the health community about this study, and it is very controversial. Here's my take:

I have been very skeptical about erythritol for a long time. Researching how it is made, you can see it's a very processed product and far from real food. Although it's a naturally occurring sugar sometimes found in fruit, food manufacturers don't actually use the natural stuff. Instead they often start with GMO corn and then put it through a complex fermentation process to come up with chemically pure erythritol, a white granular powder. It is nowhere near a natural sweetener at this point. 

This is why I avoid erythritol in my diet. It's not real food. And now I have an even bigger reason to avoid it.

What do I use?

Instead of erythritol, I usually use organic maple syrup, coconut sugar, or raw honey as sweeteners. These are natural and minimally processed. I'm also a big fan of using fruit to sweeten treats, such as dates and bananas. You can see how I do that here. I also buy products with organic monk fruit as a sweetener as long as it doesn't have erythritol added. Also, you should know that when we were sourcing organic monk fruit for Truvani products, I made sure it did not contain any erythritol. It has been one of the original banned ingredients in our product development guidelines from the start!

Watch the video on the NEW STUDY here and tell me what you think in the comments! 

You might think twice about consuming erythritol too, but as with anything, it's always your choice. 

Xo,

Vani


P.O. Box 31521 Charlotte, NC 28231

If you would like to stop receiving free food investigations, recipes and healthy living tips, you can update your preferences here.

No comments:

Post a Comment