Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Healthy Easter survival kit inside

When I was a child I was a candy ADDICT. 

I look back at childhood pictures and see myself gripping candy so no one would take it away from me. And whenever a new holiday came around, I was thrilled because those celebrations ALWAYS revolved around candy.

That's why I sometimes have to stop myself....

When I see shelves stocked with beautifully wrapped chocolate Easter eggs and decorated pastel treats, I really want to buy them for my kids. 

I get wrapped up in the nostalgia of childhood memories…but then I stop myself and remember to read the ingredients. 

It's always a shock to see so many controversial ingredients…

  • Artificial colors which may disrupt the immune system and are linked to allergies, skin reactions, and hyperactivity. (Found in M&M's, Haribo, Brach's, Cadbury Eggs)
  • TBHQ is linked to an increased risk of food allergies. It may also negatively affect the immune system. (Found in Reese's)
  • Genetically modified (GMO) sugar and other ingredients treated with Roundup weed killer, a chemical linked to cancer. (Found in most conventional non-organic candy)

Don't our children deserve better?

That's why I choose to vote with my dollars… even when shopping for Easter candy. The fastest way to get this junk out of our food is to refuse to buy products made with horrible ingredients.

Look for brands such as YumEarth, Ocho, Black Forest, Alter Eco, and Lake Champlain. Instead of candy, you can also consider fun toys and stuffed animals.

These alternatives aren't all perfect and not something I recommend eating on a regular basis (it's candy!) - but they are so much better than conventional Easter candy in terms of ingredients. 

You could also stuff Easter baskets with these homemade Chocolate Turmeric Cups and Chocolate Goji Sea Salt Drops (so good!) 

And if you are going to be celebrating Easter with brunches and cookouts this weekend, I have delicious recipe ideas for you…

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Crunch - Prep it the night before & feed a crowd

Chia Seed Fruit Salad - Tastes like dessert without refined sugar

Sweet Potato & Turkey Frittata - Perfect combo of savory & sweet

Healthy Pasta Salad - Starts with the best ingredients and packs in the veggies

Key Lime Pie Parfaits - Looks fancy, but easy to make

Carrot Cake Muffins - Super moist and delicious

Homemade Toaster Strudels - Don't let the name fool ya! Delicious pastries to die for. 

I hope you have a wonderful Easter and get to spend time with your loved ones! And, if you know anyone who could use an Easter candy makeover (or would like some new recipes) please send this email to them.

Xo,

Vani

P.S. If someone forwarded this email to you, make sure to subscribe to my free email newsletter here. I'll send you updates, life-changing health tips, recipes, and breaking investigations each week.


P.O. Box 31521 Charlotte, NC 28231

If you would like to stop receiving free food investigations, recipes and healthy living tips, you can update your preferences here.

No comments:

Post a Comment